If you want to spend money on a purchase only once, and do not want to worry about changing the filter, then your choice is an air purifier with washable filter.
It’s a wise decision to invest in an air purifier with permanent filter. It is reusable and can be affordable in the long-run. You will not have to replace the filter every few months.
There are many products on the market and they’re not equal. Let’s have a look at five of the best air purifiers with permanent and washable filters in 2019.
|Honeywell HFD-120Q||Best Powerful Filter|
|Envion Therapure TPP240||Best For Big Rooms|
|Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier||Best All-Rounder Filter|
|Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner||Best to Reduce Allergens and Gases|
|Blue Pure 211+||Best Design with Color Customization|
If you want a purifier that is powerful and also looks good then consider Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier.
This tower-shaped purifier comes with washable and permanent filters. It’s cost-effective in the long-run and is easy to use as it lets you know when it’s time to wash the filters.
Other than this, the unit also saves energy as it is Energy Star certified and uses little electricity.
The filter is able to circulate and filter air 5x per hour. You will not have to worry about airborne particles and allergens with this unit working for you. The two filters work together to kill 99% airborne allergens – even particles as small as 0.3 microns. In fact, it can capture 18 times more pollutants than other similar options.
It offers three cleaning levels and comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
If you want a filter that removes not just smoke and allergens but also chemical gases, odor, germs, mold, viruses, and bacteria then bring home the Envion Therapure TPP240 Permanent HEPA Type Air Purifier.
It’s the strongest filter on the list, hence, it is quite suitable for big rooms (up to 500 sq. ft.)
The air purifier is quite affordable, as it comes with permanent filters – so you don’t have to replace filters every few months. It has a 240-hour automatic timer that makes it efficient. Plus, it kills harmful VOC’s as well.
It comes with a one-year warranty and offers several running modes including night mode that makes the purifier emit low light.
Winix 5502-2 is a good option if you want a filter that covers a wide area and has a strong CADR rating. In fact, it has the best CDR rating. Hence, it’s the safest option when it comes to air purifiers.
This unit offers 3-stage filtration including a True HEPA filter, a carbon filter, and the latest PlasmaWave technology.
This all-rounder covers an area of 360 sq. ft. and captures 99.97% pollutants found in the air. It creates no harmful ozone and safely removes various kinds of impurities including allergens and chemical vapors.
One of its defining features is the Auto Mode that helps to adjust the fan. It also offers Sleep Mode so you won’t be disturbed at night.
It’s also among the easiest purifiers to manage thanks to features like the Filter Replacement Indicator LED light that lets you know when it’s time to change the filter.
It offers four fan speed and has Smart Sensors that ensure air quality and let you know the rating by displaying different colors.
The purifier is quite durable and comes with a 12-month warranty.
Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer claims to capture 99.9% of particles in the air. For many, it’s the best air purifier with washable filter thanks the famous ifD filter it uses.
The purifier is designed for mid-sized rooms (250 sq. ft.) and comes with five clean settings.
It’s technologically advanced and looks very sleek as well. The unit has smart touchscreen controls that give it a unique look. It creates no noise and offers 2-12 hour automatic shut off function for added ease.
The unit is ARB Certified and complies with ozone emission limits. It’s rather affordable as it helps save energy and comes with a 5-year warranty. Plus, you may opt to add filters as you desire.
If you need a compact air purifier with an appealing design, your choice is Blue Pure 211+. You can customize its color to match your interior. The outside pre-filter can be in different colors. There are dark blue and gray pre-filters in the kit, and some
other colors you can buy separately.
Despite compactness, it effectively cleans the air for medium and large rooms (400-600 sq. Ft.) thanks to a 3-stage filtration system:
- Fabric washable pre-filter that is the first line to catch large contaminants such as hair fur or dust mites.
- Particle filter to get rid of other irritants like pollen, pet dander, and mold spores
- Carbon filter removes odors, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and other gases.
Thus, this filter system captures 99% of pollutants. All Blue Pure 211 filters are reusable. It is recommended to replace them in six months.
Noise level is an important parameter in the work of an air purifier. Blue Pure 211 has a low noise level, which even in the highest speed doesn’t irritate you during the day or at night when you sleep. Despite its power, this air purifier is energy efficient and help save your money.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier with Permanent/Washable Filter
First of all, understand the difference between permanent and washable filters. While the two terms are often used as synonyms, they’re not the same.
A “washable filter” is one that you can wash with water and soap to remove the accumulated contaminants. The process only takes a few minutes.
They come in two varieties:
- HEPA filter (kills 99.97% pollutants)
- iFD filter (kills 99.99% pollutants)
When it comes to performance, the difference of .02% is not much of an issue. They work at the same level, hence you may opt for any of the two.
The second option is a “permanent filter”. These filters require no cleaning. In fact, exposure to water may ruin the filter. They are cleaned with a vacuum cleaner.
Other than this, some units let you add additional filters as well. This factor can be important when selecting an air purifier.
Some other things to remember:
- Area: The choice of a purifier depends largely on the size of the room you need to clean. Calculate the size of the room and pick a purifier that can circulate and filter air about 5x per hour. A weak purifier will not be able to clean a big room. Our personal favorite is Envion Therapure TPP240 Permanent HEPA Type Air Purifier as it’s suitable for 500 sq. ft. rooms. You may also opt to use two purifiers in a single room but this will cost you more.
- CADR Rating: Shortened for Clean Air Delivery Rate, the ratings indicate how reliable a purifier is. The higher the rating, the better it is at cleaning specific contaminants. For example, look at “smoke” CADR rating to know how well a purifier can remove tobacco smoke. You may use this rating to compare different options. Our personal favorite is Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter as it’s rated quite high.
- Size and Weight: This is of huge importance if you want a mobile purifier. While most units weigh about 15 pounds, you may even be able to find purifiers under 5 pounds. Our go-to option would be Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier with Permanent Washable Filters as it’s quite easy to move around.
- Environment: Consider the kind of pollutants and contaminants found in your surroundings when selecting a purifier. One purifier may not be able to fully eradicate all kinds of contaminants. For example, Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer 250 sq. ft can be a good choice if you have pets as this purifier can reduce the risk of allergens and also make the room smell fresh.
- Looks: While not the most important factor, looks can make a difference since you’d be keeping the filter out in the open for one to see. Choose a machine that looks good and goes well with the overall theme of your house. Blue Pure 211+ is a good pick as it offers color customization.
Other than this, make sure to pick a unit that matches your budget, comes with a decent warranty, offers good customer service, and is easy to use.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Permanent and Washable Filters
Here are some pros and cons for these types of filters.
- You don’t need to spend money on new filters.
- Right maintenance can make them more effectively.
- Capture dust, spores, and pollen.
- Easy to maintain.
- May not be able to capture very small particles such as fungi, smoke, and bacteria.
- Offer limited upgrades and options.
- May not be suitable for bigger rooms.
How to Wash Reusable Filter and Clean Permanent Filter
- Make sure to wear a mask if you are allergic to dust.
- Take out the filter and put it under running water. This will remove the stuck dust particles.
- Use a scrub to make sure no dust is stuck.
- Do the same thing for the other side.
- Let it dry.
- Place it back.
- Turn off the unit and remove the inlet grill and take out the foam pre-filter.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the filter.
- Run the brush on both sides of the filter and clean between the pleated layers as well.
- Put it back.