The air purifier with a washable filter is your choice if you don’t want to worry about changing the filter and spend extra money to purchase the new one.
It’s a wise decision to invest in an air purifier with a permanent filter. It is reusable and can be affordable in the long-run. You will not have to replace the filter every few months.
There are many products on the market and they’re not equal. Let’s have a look at seven of the best air purifiers with washable and permanent filters in 2021.
Home Air Advisor may earn a commission through the following independently chosen links at no additional cost to you.
|🏆 Best All-Rounder Air Purifier||🎖️ Powerful Air Purifier with Washable Filter||💰 Budget Air Purifier with Permanent HEPA Filter|
🏆 Best All-Rounder Air PurifierWinix 5500-2
🎖️ Powerful Air Purifier with Washable FilterHoneywell HFD-120Q
💰 Budget Air Purifier with Permanent HEPA FilterHamilton Beach
List of the TOP 7 Air Purifiers with Washable/Permanent Filters in 2021
1. Winix 5500-2 – Best All-Rounder Air Purifier with Washable AOC Carbon Filter
Winix 5500-2 is a good option if you want a model that covers a wide area and has a strong CADR rating. This air purifying device offers 3-stage filtration including a True HEPA filter, a washable carbon filter, and the latest PlasmaWave technology that performs as a permanent filter.
This all-rounder covers an area of 360 sq. ft. and captures 99.97% pollutants found in the air. It creates no harmful ozone and safely removes various kinds of impurities including allergens and chemical vapors. One of its defining features is the Auto Mode that helps to adjust the fan. It also offers Sleep Mode so you won’t be disturbed at night.
Winix 5500-2 is among the easiest purifiers to manage thanks to features like the Filter Replacement Indicator LED light that lets you know when it’s time to change the filter. It offers four fan speed and has Smart Sensors that ensure air quality and let you know the rating by displaying different colors.
- Comes with a simple yet detailed user manual
- The indicator makes it easy to know the air quality
- Simply to clean and maintain
- Looks very attractive
- Might be a little too heavy for some users
- Replaceable filters are expensive
- The Turbo setting may be too loud for some users
Winix 5502-2 is for people who want a purifier for mid-sized to large rooms. It works well and can remove not just dust and chemicals but odor as well.
2. Honeywell HFD-120-Q – Best Powerful Air Purifier with Washable Permanent Filters
Honeywell HFD-120-Q is a powerful and good-looking air purifier with permanent washable filters. It’s cost-effective in the long-run and is easy to use as it lets you know when it’s time to wash the filters. Other than this, the unit also saves energy as it is Energy Star certified and uses little electricity.
This tower-shaped purifier can circulate and filter air 5x per hour. You will not have to worry about airborne particles and allergens with this unit working for you. The two filters work together to kill 99% airborne allergens – even particles as small as 0.3 microns. In fact, it can capture 18 times more pollutants than other similar options.
It offers three cleaning levels and comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Comes with an ifD filter
- Helps you save energy
- Is very easy to handle and maintain
- Has good oscillation controls
- Long warranty and highly durable
- Can improve the smell in the room
- Does not come with a timer
- Is not very effective against VOCs and germs
- May not be suitable for bigger areas
- CADR ratings are not very impressive
Honeywell HFD-120-Q is a good option for mid-sized rooms. Choose it if you want your family to enjoy clean air.
3. Envion Therapure TPP240 – Best Permanent HEPA Type Air Purifier For Big Rooms
Envion Therapure TPP240 is an air purifier that removes not just smoke and allergens but also chemical gases, odor, germs, mold, viruses, and bacteria. It is quite suitable for big rooms (up to 500 square feet).
This air purifier is quite affordable, as it comes with permanent HEPA filter – so you don’t have to replace filter every few months. It has a 240-hour automatic timer that makes it efficient. Plus, it kills harmful VOC’s as well.
It comes with a one-year warranty and offers several running modes including night mode that makes the purifier emit low light.
- The digital display makes it easy to read
- Uses little power
- Has dedicated UV light and ionizer switches
- Creates little to no noise
- The tower design makes it look attractive
- Not a true HEPA purifier
- Does not work very well against odors
- The Night Mode is not very efficient
Envion Therapure TPP240 is suitable for those who have a big house.
Read Also: Best Cigarette Smoke Removal Machines
4. Honeywell AirGenius 5 – Best Air Cleaner to Reduce Allergens and Gases
Honeywell AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer claims to capture 99.9% of particles in the air. For many, it’s the best air purifier with washable filter thanks the famous ifD filter it uses. This model is designed for mid-sized rooms (250 sq. ft.) and comes with five clean settings.
It’s technologically advanced and looks very sleek as well. The unit has smart touchscreen controls that give it a unique look. It creates no noise and offers 2-12 hour automatic shut off function for added ease.
The unit is ARB Certified and complies with ozone emission limits. It’s rather affordable as it helps save energy and comes with a 5-year warranty. Plus, you may opt to add filters as you desire.
- Reduces harmful gases and microscopic allergens
- Looks very stylish
- Customization and different modes make it very easy to use
- Comes with a detailed user manual
- Replacement filters are affordable
- Makes a lot of noise at max
- Customer support is not very good
Honeywell AirGenius 5 is for anyone who wants a clean home with no odor. If you have pets then this purifier can be a very good choice as it reduces allergens.
5. Blue Pure 211+ – Air Purifier With Best Design
If you need a compact air purifier with an appealing design, your choice is Blue Pure 211+. You can customize its color to match your interior. The outside pre-filter can be in different colors. There are dark blue and gray pre-filters in the kit, and some other colors you can buy separately.
Despite compactness, it effectively cleans the air for medium and large rooms (400-600 sq. Ft.) thanks to a 3-stage filtration system:
- Fabric washable pre-filter that is the first line to catch large contaminants such as hair fur or dust mites.
- Particle filter to get rid of other irritants like pollen, pet dander, and mold spores
- Carbon filter removes odors, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and other gases.
Thus, this filter system captures 99% of pollutants. All Blue Pure 211 filters are reusable. It is recommended to replace them in six months.
Noise level is an important parameter in the work of an air purifier. Blue Pure 211 has a low noise level, which even in the highest speed doesn’t irritate you during the day or at night when you sleep. Despite its power, this model is energy efficient and help save your money.
- Solid reputation of Blueair brand
- Very powerful
- Low power consumption
- Quiet operation
- High CADR
- Color customization
- No additional features
- High operating costs
Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier with Washable Pre-Filters is an effective device for medium or large rooms with color customization feature.
6. Oreck AIRPCB – Best Professional Permanent Filter Air Purifier with Ionizer
If you want a cost-effective filter that offers thorough cleaning of a small room or workspace, you might want to consider the Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier. Its six-stage filtration captures and destroys allergens, pollutants, pet dander, odors, and any harmful particles as small as 1 micron.
The optional ionizer clumps together small particles, so that they can be easily trapped by the permanent HEPA-graded fine mesh. It ensures extra freshness and cleanliness of your room so that you and your family and breathe safe air.
The permanent HEPA filter is easy to clean and replace. Moreover, it can easily be washed and reused again, so you won’t need to purchase any expensive replacements. What’s more? The purifier alerts you when the filter needs to be cleaned so you won’t have to worry about its maintenance.
Oreck model offers three speed-settings to fit individual needs. The stylish design and in-depth cleaning make it ideal for smaller rooms like bedrooms, offices, etc. The purifier is very quiet and requires less energy than an average light bulb.
- Ideal for small areas
- Six-stage filtration for intense cleaning
- Low energy consumption
- Filter cleaning alert
- A popping sound of the ionizer
- A bit bulky
Oreck AIRPCB Professional is an energy-efficient air purifier that intense cleaning of smaller rooms. The optional ionizer can make the space even fresher.
7. Hamilton Beach – Best Budget Air Purifier with Permanent HEPA Filter
If airborne allergies make it impossible for you to breathe, Hamilton Beach TrueAir might be ideal for you. This compact air purifier can cover large rooms without the hassle of changing filters. It’s permanent filter intensely cleans the air around you, catching smoke, mold, dust, and any other harmful particles, as small as three microns, in a fine mesh filter. You won’t need to buy a replacement filter, as it can be vacuum cleaned and used again and again.
This device has three speed settings, low for extra quiet cleaning, medium for everyday use, and high for quick cleaning. The speed can be controlled by a simple control knob. The motor and fan of the purifier are super quiet, and at the lowest speed, you won’t even notice that it’s there.
Hamilton Beach TrueAir’s sleek tower design makes it harmonize with every surrounding. It is easy to move and can be placed both horizontally and vertically. This efficient model can cover rooms as large as 160 sq ft.
The air purifier is lightweight and affordable. It doesn’t require any assembly, and the user manual makes it easy to use for everyone.
- HEPA filter captures all the harmful particles in the air
- Very quiet
- Low maintenance
- Compact tower design effortlessly blends into surroundings
- No light indicator for filter cleaning
- Takes a while to clean the air
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir is an effective and low-maintenance room air cleaner that prevents airborne allergies and offers intense air purifying.
There are many air purifiers with reusable filters on the market. It is important to know what to consider when selecting the best one.
First of all, understand the difference between permanent and washable filters. While the two terms are often used as synonyms, they’re not the same.
A washable filter is one that you can wash with water and soap to remove the accumulated contaminants. The process only takes a few minutes.
They come in two varieties:
- HEPA filter (kills 99.97% pollutants)
- ifD filter (kills 99.99% pollutants)
When it comes to performance, the difference of .02% is not much of an issue. They work at the same level, hence you may opt for any of the two.
The second option is a permanent filter. These filters require no cleaning. In fact, exposure to water may ruin the filter. They are cleaned with a vacuum cleaner.
Other than this, some units let you add additional filters as well. This factor can be important when selecting the best air purifier with a washable HEPA filter, ifD filter, or any other type of technology.
Here are some other things to remember:
- Area: The choice of a purifier depends largely on the size of the room you need to clean. Calculate the size and pick a model that can circulate and filter air about 5x per hour. A weak purifier will not be able to clean a big area. Our personal favorite is Envion Therapure TPP240 as it’s suitable for 500 sq. ft. rooms. You may also opt to use two purifiers in a single room but this will cost you more.
- CADR Rating: Shortened for Clean Air Delivery Rate, the ratings indicate how reliable a purifier is. The higher the rating, the better it is at cleaning specific contaminants. For example, look at “smoke” CADR rating to know how well a purifier can remove tobacco smoke. You may use this rating to compare different options. Our personal favorite is Winix 5500-2 as it’s rated quite high.
- Size and Weight: This is of huge importance if you want a mobile purifier. While most units weigh about 15 pounds, you may even be able to find models under 5 pounds. Our go-to option would be Honeywell HFD-120-Q as it’s quite easy to move around.
- Environment: Consider the kind of pollutants and contaminants found in your surroundings when selecting a purifier. One purifier may not be able to fully eradicate all kinds of contaminants. For example, Honeywell AirGenius 5 can be a good choice if you have pets as this model can reduce the risk of allergens and also make the room smell fresh.
- Looks: While not the most important factor, looks can make a difference since you’d be keeping the filter out in the open for one to see. Choose a machine that looks good and goes well with the overall theme of your house. Blue Pure 211+ is a good pick as it offers color customization.
- Technology: The better the technology used, the more effective the product is. It is also important to look into technology and filtration process used by the filter. The Oreck AIRPCB Professional Air Purifier comes with a six-stage filtration cleaning and advanced Truman cell technology. This ensures thorough purification of the air from any pollutants, germs, odors, and pet dander.
- Speed Settings: Some of the latest air purifiers come with multiple speed settings, allowing you to customize the speed and level of cleanliness you need. This allows you to have control over your energy consumption as well. For example, the Hamilton Beach Air Purifier comes with three-speed settings, with easy to control knob to switch between multiple settings.
Other than this, make sure to pick a unit that matches your budget, comes with a decent warranty, offers good customer service, and is easy to use.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Permanent and Washable Filters
Here are some pros and cons for these types of filters.
- You don’t need to spend money on new filters.
- Right maintenance can make them more effectively.
- Capture dust, spores, and pollen.
- Easy to maintain.
- May not be able to capture very small particles such as fungi, smoke, and bacteria.
- Offer limited upgrades and options.
- May not be suitable for bigger rooms.
How to Wash Reusable Filter and Clean Permanent Filter
Here is how to wash a reusable filter:
- Make sure to wear a mask if you are allergic to dust.
- Take out the filter and put it under running water. This will remove the stuck dust particles.
- Use a scrub to make sure no dust is stuck.
- Do the same thing for the other side.
- Let it dry.
- Place it back.
Here is how to clean a permanent filter:
- Turn off the unit and remove the inlet grill and take out the foam pre-filter.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the filter.
- Run the brush on both sides of the filter and clean between the pleated layers as well.
- Put it back.
Watch the video about how to clean reusable air filter:
People Also Ask (FAQ)
We’ve answered some questions below to further clear any doubts:
How Effective are Air Purifiers with Washable Filters?
Washable filters aren’t very effective on their own. They’re more like prefilters, as they capture large dust particles, pet dander, etc. But if your air purifier comes with a washable IFD filter, it’s going to prove as effective as a HEPA one.
Do Air Purifiers with Washable Filters Remove Odors?
Yes, they can, especially if they come equipped with additional carbon filters, which can effectively absorb odor and smoke particles.
Do Air Purifiers with Washable/Permanent Filters Produce Ozone?
It may or may not produce ozone, depending on the technology your air purifier uses. Ionizers and electrostatic precipitators usually produce a small amount of ozone while operating. So be sure to check if your air purifier is certified by a recognized organization for safe use at home.
Can Activated Carbon Filters be Washed?
Yes, you can wash them by using hot water to remove any dust or debris in the filters and leaving them under the sun to dry out. However, washing and reusing causes carbon filters to lose their effectiveness (and that too, pretty quickly). So we suggest replacing them after a couple of washes.
How Often Should You Change Washable Filters?
Washable filters can last for years as they’re meant to be reusable. However, if it starts to look damaged, or the dirt and debris become too hard to wash, replace it. Also, check your air purifier’s manual for further instructions on filter maintenance.
Do Air Purifiers with Permanent Filters Save Money?
Yes, but in the long run. Permanent filters have a higher initial cost, but since they need to be replaced only once in a couple of years, you’ll save a bunch of bucks as the months pass.