Honeywell air purifiers are some of the best-rated in the market. With Honeywell’s patented air filtration system, these air purifiers are both efficient and high-performance.
However, even the highest quality products require careful maintenance. If you’re not diligent with cleaning out air purifiers, you can both damage the product and ruin its efficiency.
Cleaning Honeywell air purifiers is a very straightforward process. You need to follow a few simple steps. If you’re wondering how to clean a Honeywell air purifier, check out our easy-to-follow guide.
How Often Should You Clean a Honeywell Air Purifier?
Firstly, we must establish how often you should clean your Honeywell air purifier. Cleaning air purifiers means replacing its air filters.
Throughout the extensive range, each Honeywell air purifier comes with different filters, including:
- Washable pre-filters
- Activated carbon filters
- Permanent HEPA filters
Each filter is cleaned differently and at different frequencies. For example, permanent HEPA filters last up to two-three years.
For Honeywell air purifiers, life expectancy is usually three and a half years. Similarly, carbon filters last three to six months.
On the other hand, washable pre-filters should be washed every month or so.
Apart from filter type, you should also think about:
- How often you use the purifier
- Whether you live in an area with poor/mediocre indoor air quality
- What kind of water you wash your filters with
Of course, if you use the air purifier 24/7 or have a house prone to dust particles, your air purifier needs maintenance more frequently.
On average, do you use your air purifier for more than 12 hours per day? If yes, you must wash/replace the filters, no matter the type, every few months.
Easy Steps on How to Clean a Honeywell Air Purifier
Now, you know how often one must clean their air purifier. However, how does one go about the job?
Don’t worry. If your Honeywell purifier is showing signs of dust buildup, the process to follow is straightforward.
To help you out, we’ll go through it step by step:
- Firstly, unplug and turn off the air purifier.
- Open up the air filter tower cap.
- Identify what type of filter you have. A pre-filter merely needs a light rewashing. Another type simply needs replacing.
If it’s a pre-filter, you should:
- Remove the air filter from behind the top grill/cover.
- Shake the air filter to remove visible dust or dirt. (Do this somewhere outside, so your home doesn’t get messy.)
- Check if the pre-filter is worn *. If yes, get a new pre-filter and move onto this step.
- If not, go ahead and wash the pre-filter. In this step, use warm tap water.
- Lastly, lay the filter out to dry. (Make sure it’s completely dry before inserting it back in.)
However, if yours is a replacement filter, you should:
- Remove the air filter from the air purifier.
- Check for signs of wear *. Most HEPA filters don’t need constant replacement. If you don’t see signs of wear, vacuum the filter gently and move on to step 4.
- If the filter is completely worn out, buy an identical air filter. You can find most Honeywell HEPA filters on Amazon, but make sure to check if it fits your air purifier model by entering your model number.
- Insert the new/clean filter carefully inside the grill.
- Smooth out any creases.
- Lastly, close the grill firmly.
* When air filters are worn out, their structure deteriorates. If an air filter is discolored, this doesn’t mean it’s worn out.
As a side note, keep bleach, detergent, soap, and water away from permanent filters. For washable filters, only use warm tap water. Also, check whether the tap water has high mineral components as minerals can damage pre-filters.
Now you know how to clean a Honeywell HEPA filter. If you require frequent use, you should certainly take care of your purifying device.
By following these steps, you can maximize the life expectancy of your air purifier. At the same time, you can increase its efficiency and breathe better air.