Did you know that about 1.1 billion people smoke cigarettes?
Cigarette smoke is one of the worst contaminants that not only affects the smoker but also the people around.
You can eliminate tobacco smoke and odor in your house using a smoke removal machine. Therefore we picked up for you the best 6 air purifiers for smoke.
|GermGuardian AC4825 22”||Check Price|
|Winix 5500-2||Check Price|
|Levoit LV-H132||Check Price|
|Rabbit Air MinusA2||Check Price|
|Levoit LV-PUR131||Check Price|
|Austin Air HM400||Check Price|
List of the TOP 6 Air Purifiers for Smoke
- #1 GermGuardian AC4825 22” 3-in-1 – Best Lightweight Air Purifier for Smoke
- #2 Winix 5500-2 – Optimal for Room up to 360 sq. ft.
- #3 LEVOIT LV-H132 with True HEPA Filter – Best Portable Air Purifier
- #4 Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Best Powerful Air Purifier for Smoke
- #5 LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Cleaner for Smoke – Best Quiet Operation Air Purifier
- #6 Austin Healthmate HM400 – Best in Areas with Poor Air Conditions
- Why Do You Need an Air Purifier for Smoke?
- Types of Air Filters for Cigarette Smoke Removal
- Choosing the Best Purifier for Cigarette Smoke
- How To Determine If A Purifier Will Cover My Room?
#1 GermGuardian AC4825 22” 3-in-1 – Best Lightweight Air Purifier for Smoke
GermGuardian AC4825 is our recommended cigarette smoke air purifier. It has an attractive design with an air outlet grill from the front and control panel at the top.
This model is designed especially for purifying air against allergens and cigarette smoke. Its best asset is the HEPA filter responsible for capturing up to 99.97% of impurities, including dust. The peculiarity of this model is the UV-C light which is responsible for killing germs. This feature covers bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
GermGuardian AC4825 is a good choice to purify the air from odors. Thanks to the charcoal filter, this lightweight air purifier will provide clean air in rooms up to 167 sq. ft. It is convenient, as red and green light indicates the state of the filters.
- Quickly cleans odors
- 3 speeds and 3-in-1 product
- Suitable for allergy-prone users
- The filters are non-washable
- A little smell of plastic at the beginning of the work
#2 Winix 5500-2 – Optimal for Room up to 360 sq. ft.
Winix 5500-2 is the best air purifier for smokers in the low-price segment. It comes in classic black and fits almost any home interior. Its light (15.4 lbs.), so you can carry it around your home.
This purifier has a smart LED indicator that uses various colors to display the level of surrounding air pollution. You can manually select one of the fan speeds and choose between an almost noiseless operation or a maximum power depending on your needs. It is also equipped with a night mode, which automatically determines the surrounding light level and controls fan speed to ensure silence at night.
Despite the purifier’s affordable price, it features modern technologies and efficiently removes odors in the premises of up to 360 sq. ft. Winix 5500-2 is equipped with a three-stage air filtration system: 2 physical filters (HEPA and Activated Carbon) and PlasmaWave technology, which releases Hydroxyls into the air to combat viruses and bacteria.
- Affordable price
- Remote access feature
- Equipped with smart sensors for automatic control and air purification
- The filter needs regular cleaning
- The device should not be placed in direct sunlight
#3 LEVOIT LV-H132 with True HEPA Filter – Best Portable Air Purifier
If you are looking for an air purifier for cigarette smoke that has a sleek design and is affordable then Levoit LV-H132 can be a good choice. It can double as a decor piece due to its aesthetics and top blue light. If you aim to purify a small room (86 sq. ft.) then this one won’t disappoint.
Levoit LV-H132 works on a 3 stage filtration system:
- The first filter (fine preliminary filter) traps large particles that float in the air. This pre-filter makes sure that the HEPA filter doesn’t have to deal with large particles that might weaken it. In this stage, all airborne bacteria, large mold spores, pet hair will be eliminated from the air.
- In this stage, the True HEPA filter traps 99% of particles which are up to 0.3 microns in diameter. Smoke allergens, pet dander, and pollen are trapped in this phase leaving behind fresh air.
- It involves the activated carbon filter whose job is to get rid of bad odors including cigarette and cigar smoke odor.
You need to change each of these filters in at least 6-9 months to ensure that the purifier performs efficiently. Thanks to its weight of only 6.4 pounds, it’s quite portable as well.
Lastly, it has a filter replacement sensor installed that will notify you when the purifier needs a filter replacement.
- Quiet operation
- Lifetime support and 1-year buyer assurance
- 100% ozone-free
- Not suitable for large rooms
- It takes up to 1 hour to purify the air
#4 Rabbit Air MinusA2 – Best Powerful Air Purifier for Smoke
People searching for a powerful air purifier that offers strong performance should turn to Rabbit Air Minus A2. It is meant to last long and purify the air of every possible allergen, dust, smoke, contaminants, odors, and pet dander. This is one of the thinnest air purifiers on the market so expect it to take very little space in your home.
This device works on a six-way filtration process to clear out smoke from the air:
- The prefilter traps large particles, dust, and allergens.
- Medium filter eliminates airborne particles that are 1 micron in size.
- The bioGS Hepa filter traps 99% of harmful particles with efficiency.
- The customized filter works to remove odor and toxins.
- The Charcoal-Based Activated Carbon Filter reduces chemicals and odors produced due to various home chores.
- The Negative Ion Generator freshens the air.
In the end, you get to breathe the freshest air that’s free from smoke and contaminants.
It also incorporates 4 customized filter options, each serving a different purpose:
- Odor Removing Filter: It traps different odors including cigar odor.
- Toxin-Removing Filter: It serves as a toxin cleaner. Strong toxins that come from paints, furniture, and cigarette smoke are absorbed by this filter.
- Pet Allergy Filter: It traps microscopic allergens that pets produce in the air.
- Germ Defense Filter: Serves as a layer of protection against biological germs and cigarette smoke contents.
It is ideal to purify a room of 700-815 sq. ft. It cleans air at 193 cubic feet of air per minute and is a very fast working filter. This model is energy efficient too as you can choose from 5 different speeds.
- 5-year parts and labor warranty
- Can be mounted on the wall or kept as a stand-alone unit
- The filter can last up to 2 years easily
- The high-grade granular activated carbon eliminates strong odor like a pro
- Wall mounting kit included
- Doesn’t have a programmable timer
- Settings may reset automatically
READ ALSO: Best Wall-Mounted Air Purifiers
#5 LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Cleaner for Smoke – Best Quiet Operation Air Purifier
Levoit LV-PUR131 comes in an elegant white plastic cover and has an infrared dust sensor, 3-speed options as well as anti-mold feature.
You might want to try this product if you are dealing with allergies, or if you have pets in your indoor spaces. It has a 3-stage filtration system. Those are the HEPA, carbon, and Nanosilver PP filters. One of its options includes an extra-silent sleep mode.
This model is recommended for purifying the air from cigarette smoke and mold spores as small as 0.3 microns. This is a quiet air purifier that cleans everything up to 99.97%. It is recommended for rooms up to 322 square feet. If you suffer from a stuffy or runny nose, you might want to try this anti-allergy product.
- An aesthetically pleasing model with a sleep mode
- Ozone-free and anti-allergy purifier
- Some users state that the smell might be somewhat uncomfortable at times
#6 Austin Healthmate HM400 – Best in Areas with Poor Air Conditions
Austin Air HM400 is a good looking air purifier that effectively eliminates smoke odors and allergens from your home. It can catch up to 99.9% of contaminants even if they are as small as 0.3 microns.
The unit is made up of solid steel and is quite reliable. There’s no need to worry about off-gas chemicals leaking out of the unit. The highlight of this air purifier is its medical-grade HEPA filter that filters smoke contaminants in 4 stages in a 360 air movement that reaches every corner of the room.
HM400 offers a 3-speed switch which lets you control the speed. This gives you control over how much energy it should use.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Covers a wide area, up to 1500 sq. ft.
- Strong powder coat finish that lasts for years
- Equipped with carbon/zeolite that absorbs odors, gasses, and chemicals from the air
- 360 air movement makes sure the entire room is purified
- Loud at 66db (highest speed)
- No indicator to replace the filter. Plus, replacing it can be a bit difficult
- Covers 1500 sq. ft. only at low speed. The range falls down to 700 sq. ft. at medium
If you don’t like your house smelling like cigarette smoke, you’ll definitely need an air purifier for smoke. Firstly, if you’re a smoker, going out of your apartment to smoke every cigar you light up is out of the question. Especially, if you consider that most apartment buildings do not allow their residents to smoke outside. In this case, a smoke air purifier helps remove the smell in your home.
Even if you’re a non-smoker, an air filter is just as necessary for you as a water filter is. Be it a family member or a roommate, tobacco smoke inside your living premises makes you a passive smoker. This makes you prone to smoke-related diseases as much as an avid smoker is.
Additionally, indoor smoke reacts in the worst possible way when airborne, making it more harmful than outdoor smoke. It sticks to your walls and furniture, which makes the toxins survive in your living space for long periods. Similarly, in a smoke-free home, there are other allergens such as outdoor smoke, dust, and stove smoke that can be harmful to you, especially if you have asthma or allergy.
Get an air purifier to clean the air you and your children breathe in and reduce the risks of indoor air pollution.
READ ALSO: Tips on How to Clear Smoke Out of a Room
Types of Air Filters for Cigarette Smoke Removal
Thanks to the tech around us, modern devices use multiple methods to facilitate effective air purification in your home, while some use one specific method. Here are some types of air filters you’d like to know about to help you choose one for yourself.
True HEPA filters are made of systematically arranged fibers of fiberglass. Fibers are produced with a certain thickness and diameter to ensure effective air cleaning. They work as a collection point for toxins and impurities and trap them to keep your air pollution-free.
Activated Carbon Filters
These filters consist of granular activated carbon mats. These carbon blocks help remove contaminants and toxins in your air. Similarly, some carbon filters have zeolite as well. This is a mineral that works to draw in toxic gases, such as ammonia and carbon monoxide.
Ultraviolet lamp systems use fans to force air through the UV light. The air, when passed through these UV rays, is effectively purified from any microorganisms and impurities that it carries. In addition, the lamps have an integrated filter system that retains dead microorganisms, so they don’t harm you any further.
These are vented filters made of layered metal. When the air passes through these layers, it creates friction that positively charges its molecules. The positively charged air creates static energy, which helps trap dust particles inside the filter.
These filters use sunlight as their ultimate power source. They use sunlight to perform photocatalysis which eliminates pollutants in the air around you. Besides, these filters are energy and cost-efficient.
An ozone filter generates ozone gas, which helps kill off microorganisms, such as bacteria and fungi. Also, they remove air contaminants without releasing any other harmful substances, which makes them great to use in cars and homes. However, you’ll need to be careful while using ozone filters as the gas can be harmful to you, too.
Water is the most organic and energy-efficient way of purifying the air around you. These filters use water to trap contaminants, such as pollen and dust. You have to clean the filter regularly to expel the water inside it. The filter is cheap and works well for all indoor spaces.
While all types of air filters are efficient in their respective jobs, you have to keep a few things in mind. For example, your budget, the air exposure around your home, and health conditions of your family members.
Choosing the Best Purifier for Cigarette Smoke
When looking for the best air purifier for cigarette smoke available on the market, consider the following factors:
- The room area must correspond to the device capacity. Be even more attentive to the parameters if your purifier model comes with an ionizer.
- The purifying system must correspond to air pollution system.
- A noise level, which is very important, even more so during the night. The ionic purifier is almost noiseless, unlike its analogs with a mechanical purification system.
- Amount of dust in the room. There might be plenty of various elements in the air (animal hair, carpet particles, and so on), in which case mechanical purification is preferable.
- The compact size of the device and the ability to move it around are equally important characteristics.
- Convenient control buttons and mode switches.
- A degree of air disinfection, which is critical during periods of viral disease activation. In this case, devices with ozonizers are the most efficient. Ozon is way more efficient than ultraviolet.
- Good air means moist air. A moisturizing functionality significantly increases the useful properties of the device.
- Air that has passed through a filtering system loses most of its natural charge, so be sure to think of the ionizer.
When purchasing a purifier, consider the financial aspect, too. Whether it’s a consumer-grade or an expensive purifier with additional functionality, the air in your room will feel much better.
How To Determine If A Purifier Will Cover My Room?
Measure the dimensions of your room and choose a purifier for cigarette smoke that offers a few additional square feet of coverage. This is important because they don’t always cover the area advertised by the manufacturer.
If portability is of importance then pick an option that is light in weight and easy to move. In the end, pick a purifier that comes in your budget and has all the features and specs that you are looking for.
Watch an impressive video of testing an air purifier for smoke: